Disable right mouse click

Thursday 6th July

Thursday 6th July 2017:
Today it was shaping up to be another hot, sunny day so I decided to pay a mid-late morning visit to the Common.  I parked up at Lower Poolands carpark and walked a circuit of the site's southern area.

A short way into the walk and I was treated to cracking views of a Painted Lady butterfly that landed on a nearby Bramble flower.  This was the first adult Painted Lady I have recorded on the Common this year.

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui)














Continuing the walk along the sandy paths through the heather I picked up on a rather showy ♂ Beewolf that was busy making patrols around it's territory, perching occasionally, before taking flight again.

Sandy path on the southeast side of the Common 
















Beewolf (Philanthus triangulum) 
















Also of note during my amble around was a ♀ Red-banded Sand Wasp that I observed digging a burrow.  I have attached some video footage below of the wasp undertaking it's excavations and whilst watching it back noticed that a second Sand Wasp photo-bombed it and sneaks into the frame.  I didn't notice that at the time!  

Red-banded Sand Wasp (Ammophila sabulos)




No comments:

Post a Comment